Re: predefined role(s) for VACUUM and ANALYZE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nathan Bossart
Subject Re: predefined role(s) for VACUUM and ANALYZE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 07, 2022 at 02:53:57PM -0700, Mark Dilger wrote:
> Assuming for the sake of argument that we should create a role something like you propose, can you explain why we
shoulddraw the line around just VACUUM and ANALYZE?  I am not arguing for including these other commands, but don't
wantto regret having drawn the line in the wrong place when later we decide to add more roles like the one you are
proposing.

There was some previous discussion around adding a pg_maintenance role that
could perform all of these commands [0].  I didn't intend to draw a line
around VACUUM and ANALYZE.  Those are just the commands I started with.
If/when there are many of these roles, it might make sense to create a
pg_maintenance role that is a member of pg_vacuum_all_tables,
pg_analyze_all_tables, etc.

[0] https://postgr.es/m/67a1d667e8ec228b5e07f232184c80348c5d93f4.camel%40j-davis.com

--
Nathan Bossart