Re: introduce bufmgr hooks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nathan Bossart
Subject Re: introduce bufmgr hooks
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 08:29:31AM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> I'm very doubtful this is a good idea. These are quite hot paths. While not a
> huge cost, adding an indirection isn't free nonetheless.

Are you concerned about the NULL check or the potential hook
implementations?  I can probably test the former pretty easily, but the
latter seems like a generic problem for many hooks.

> I also think it'll
> make it harder to improve things in this area, which needs quite a bit of
> work.

If you have specific refactoring in mind that you think ought to be a
prerequisite for this change, I'm happy to give it a try.

--
Nathan Bossart