Re: Letter case of "admin option" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Letter case of "admin option"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2022-Aug-23, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:

> commands/user.c
> @707:
> >    errmsg("must have admin option on role \"%s\" to add members",
> @1971:
> >    errmsg("grantor must have ADMIN OPTION on \"%s\"",
>
> A grep'ing told me that the latter above is the only outlier among 6
> occurrences in total of "admin option/ADMIN OPTION".
>
> Don't we unify them?  I slightly prefer "ADMIN OPTION" but no problem
> with them being in small letters.  (Attached).

As a translator, it makes a huge difference to have them in upper vs.
lower case.  In the former case I would keep it untranslated, while in
the latter I would translate it.  Given that these are keywords to use
in a command, I think making them uppercase is the better approach.

I see several other messages using "admin option" in lower case in
user.c.  The Spanish translation contains one translation already and it
is somewhat disappointing; I would prefer to have it as uppercase there
too.