Re: BUG #17552: pg_stat_statements tracks internal FK check queries when COPY used to load data - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: BUG #17552: pg_stat_statements tracks internal FK check queries when COPY used to load data
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi,

On Sun, Jul 17, 2022 at 07:23:36PM +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:

> Bug reference:      17552
> Logged by:          Maxim Boguk
> Email address:      maxim.boguk@gmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 14.4
> Operating system:   Linux
>
> pg_stat_statements track internal FK trigger check queries during data load
> via COPY
> ( pg_stat_statements.track=top (default) and
> pg_stat_statements.track_utility=off (not default) )
> Tested on latest 13 and 14 versions.

Reproduced on current master too.

> Test script (test.sql):
> [...]
> select query, calls from public.pg_stat_statements where dbid=(select oid
> from pg_database where datname=current_database()) order by calls desc limit
> 2;
>
> run:
> psql -e -f test.sql -d sometestdb
>
> Final output rows:
> select query, calls from public.pg_stat_statements where dbid=(select oid
> from pg_database where datname=current_database()) order by calls desc limit
> 2;
>                                             query
>                 | calls
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------
>  SELECT $2 FROM ONLY "public"."t1" x WHERE "id" OPERATOR(pg_catalog.=) $1
> FOR KEY SHARE OF x |   100
>  select pg_stat_statements_reset()
>                 |     1
> (2 rows)
>

> Expected output:
>                                             query
>                 | calls
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------
>  select pg_stat_statements_reset()
>                 |     1
> (1 rows)

I agree with you that the current behavior seems wrong.  If we ignore a utility
statement, it doesn't mean that any standard query executed underneath should
become a top-level statement as it's the case now.

I see that there's an existing test that actually relies on that behavior,
which is an anonymous block code like:

DO LANGUAGE plpgsql $$
BEGIN
  -- this is a SELECT
  PERFORM 'hello world'::TEXT;
END;
$$;

which is expected to reports a "SELECT $1::text" with pg_stat_statements.track
= top and track_utility = off, and also doesn't seem right.

That test was added in 83f2061dd03, apparently covered by "Also, significantly
expand pg_stat_statements' regression test script", but without any discussion
on that specific behavior as far as I can see after a quick look.

Assuming that we want to fix it, simply increasing the exec_nested_level in the
fallback calls to prev_ProcessUtility/standard_ProcessUtility for handled
utility commands should get the correct behavior.