Re: Weird mangling of a commit log entry in gitweb summary - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Weird mangling of a commit log entry in gitweb summary
Date
List pgsql-www
On 2022-Jul-17, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 17, 2022 at 1:26 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> > 6 hours ago     Tom Lane        Remove postc's reset_shared() wrapper function.         commit | commitdiff | tree
> >
> > What's up with that?
>
> I have no idea why but it's clearly getting confused by the single
> quote. But it doesn't appear to do that in other places where there's
> a single quote in there. I see nothing strange with the commit message
> itself, and the cgit view of it shows nothing strange either...

How do you know it's the single quote?  The problem is not adjacent to
that.  Maybe it's replacing the string "branch name followed by period"
with an empty string.

If you go to
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=shortlog;pg=11
you'll see the commit title for 6c4a8903b93f show as:

  TAP tests: check for postpid anyway when "pg_ctl start...
which was:
  TAP tests: check for postmaster.pid anyway when "pg_ctl start" fails.