Re: make MaxBackends available in _PG_init - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nathan Bossart
Subject Re: make MaxBackends available in _PG_init
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 12:39:46PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

>>> Yeah, this is a good point.  If we're okay with breaking existing
>>> extensions like this, I will work on a patch.
>
>> I tend to think it's a good idea.
>
> I've come around to that view as well.

Here is a new patch set that introduces the aforementioned "hard break."

I noticed that requests for more LWLocks follow a similar pattern as
regular shared memory requests, and I figured that we would want to do
something similar for those, but I wasn't sure exactly how to proceed.  I
saw two options: 1) use shmem_request_hook for both regular requests and
LWLock requests or 2) introduce an lwlock_request_hook.  My instinct was
that option 1 was preferable, but AFAICT this requires introducing a new
external variable for inspecting whether the request is made at a valid
time.  This would be similar to
process_shared_preload_libraries_in_progress, which I believe means a
determined extension author could easily hack around the request
restrictions.  I thought option 2 added too much machinery to work around
this problem.  For now, I haven't made any changes for LWLock requests.
What are your thoughts?

--
Nathan Bossart

Attachment