Re: pgsql: Rewrite some RI code to avoid using SPI - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: pgsql: Rewrite some RI code to avoid using SPI
Date
List pgsql-committers
On 2022-Apr-07, Tom Lane wrote:

> Just for the record, I didn't approve of that patch, and I don't
> think cramming it in a few hours before feature freeze is a good
> way to proceed.

> (1) We've added enough instability to the tree this week already.

Several animals failed already in ways that look obviously connected to
this commit, so I can't disagree:

https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=grison&dt=2022-04-07%2020%3A12%3A22
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=lapwing&dt=2022-04-07%2020%3A40%3A16
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=florican&dt=2022-04-07%2021%3A18%3A46

> (2) I'm still quite unhappy about the idea that this particular
> type of FK check will be done using fundamentally different methods
> than every other type of FK check.  I think that is inevitably
> going to lead to semantic inconsistencies.

I must have misread, then, that you were not as adamantly opposed to the
idea as in your first email to the thread.

I'll revert, keeping the new test.

"If you have nothing to say, maybe you need just the right tool to help you
not say it."                   (New York Times, about Microsoft PowerPoint)