Re: Summary Sort workers Stats in EXPLAIN ANALYZE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: Summary Sort workers Stats in EXPLAIN ANALYZE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 05:04:53PM +0800, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> I think the idea is interesting, however there are a few problems in the patch.
>
> First, I think that it should only be done in the VERBOSE OFF mode.  If you ask
> for a VERBOSE output you don't need both the details and the summarized
> version.
>
> Other minor problems:
>
> - why (only) emitting the number of workers planned and not the number of
>   workers launched?
> - the textual format is missing details about what the numbers are, which is
>   particularly obvious since avgSpaceUsed and peakSpaceUsed don't have any unit
>   or even space between them:
>
> +             "Sort Method: %s  %s: " INT64_FORMAT INT64_FORMAT "kB\n",
> +             sortMethod, spaceType, avgSpaceUsed, peakSpaceUsed);

Also I didn't find your patch in the next commitfest [1].  Please register it
to make sure that it's not forgotten.  Not that we're already at the end of the
last pg15 commitfest, so this should be material for pg16.

[1] https://commitfest.postgresql.org/38/