Re: Allow async standbys wait for sync replication - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nathan Bossart
Subject Re: Allow async standbys wait for sync replication
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 08, 2022 at 06:01:23PM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> To me it's architecturally the completely wrong direction. We should move in
> the *other* direction, i.e. allow WAL to be sent to standbys before the
> primary has finished flushing it locally. Which requires similar
> infrastructure to what we're discussing here.

I think this is a good point.  After all, WALRead() has the following
comment:

 * XXX probably this should be improved to suck data directly from the
 * WAL buffers when possible.

Once you have all the infrastructure for that, holding back WAL replay on
async standbys based on synchronous replication might be relatively easy.

--
Nathan Bossart