Re: Avoid erroring out when unable to remove or parse logical rewrite files to save checkpoint work - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nathan Bossart
Subject Re: Avoid erroring out when unable to remove or parse logical rewrite files to save checkpoint work
Date
In response to Re: Avoid erroring out when unable to remove or parse logical rewrite files to save checkpoint work  (Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com>)
Responses Re: Avoid erroring out when unable to remove or parse logical rewrite files to save checkpoint work  (Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 03, 2022 at 09:45:08AM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 12:07 AM Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If there is a problem reading the directory, we will LOG and then exit the
>> loop.  If we didn't scan through all the entries in the directory, there is
>> a chance that we didn't fsync() all the files that need it.
>
> Thanks. I get it. For syncing map files, we don't want to tolerate any
> errors, whereas removal of the old map files (lesser than cutoff LSN)
> can be tolerated in CheckPointLogicalRewriteHeap.

LGTM.  Andres noted upthread [0] that the comment above sscanf() about
skipping editors' lock files might not be accurate.  I don't think it's a
huge problem if sscanf() matches those files, but perhaps we can improve
the comment.

[0] https://postgr.es/m/20220120194618.hmfd4kxkng2cgryh%40alap3.anarazel.de

--
Nathan Bossart