Re: Mark all GUC variable as PGDLLIMPORT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: Mark all GUC variable as PGDLLIMPORT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 02:17:16PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> Is true, so it increases differences between Windows and Unix, and fixing
> these issues is not fun work. On the other hand, maybe direct access to
> these variables from extensions is an antipattern, and we should use a
> direct function call API and functions current_setting and set_config. The
> overhead is usually not too big.

Yes, and that's what I did for one of my extensions.  But that's still a bit of
overhead, and extra burden only seen when trying to have Windows compatiblity,
and I hope I can get rid of that at some point.

If direct variable access shouldn't be possible, then we should explicitly tag
those with __attribute__ ((visibility ("hidden"))) or something like that to
have a more consistent behavior.