Re: pg_upgrade does not upgrade pg_stat_statements properly - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: pg_upgrade does not upgrade pg_stat_statements properly
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2021-Jul-29, Dave Cramer wrote:

> > I suggest "can be upgraded" rather than "should be upgraded" because
> > we're not making a recommendation, merely stating the fact that it is
> > possible to do so.
>
> Why not recommend it? I was going to suggest that we actually run alter
> extension upgrade ... on all of them as a solution.
>
> What are the downsides to upgrading them all by default ? AFAIK if they
> need upgrading this should run all of the SQL scripts, if they don't then
> this should be a NO-OP.

I'm not aware of any downsides, and I think it would be a good idea to
do so, but I also think that it would be good to sort out the docs
precisely (a backpatchable doc change, IMV) and once that is done we can
discuss how to improve pg_upgrade so that users no longer need to do
that (a non-backpatchable code change).  Incremental improvements and
all that ...

--
Álvaro Herrera              Valdivia, Chile  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"La libertad es como el dinero; el que no la sabe emplear la pierde" (Alvarez)