Re: Change default of checkpoint_completion_target - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Change default of checkpoint_completion_target
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Peter Eisentraut (peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com) wrote:
> On 2021-01-13 23:10, Stephen Frost wrote:
> >>Yes, I agree, and am involved in that thread as well- currently waiting
> >>feedback from others about the proposed approach.
> >I've tried to push that forward.  I'm happy to update this patch once
> >we've got agreement to move forward on that, to wit, adding to an
> >'obsolete' section in the documentation information about this
> >particular GUC and how it's been removed due to not being sensible or
> >necessary to continue to have.
>
> Some discussion a few days ago was arguing that it was still necessary in
> some cases as a way to counteract the possible lack of tuning in the kernel
> flushing behavior.  I think in light of that we should go with your first
> patch that just changes the default, possibly with the documentation updated
> a bit.

Rebased and updated patch attached which moves back to just changing the
default instead of removing the option, with a more explicit call-out of
the '90%', as suggested by Michael on the other patch.

Any further comments or thoughts on this one?

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment