Re: missing perl test modules in postgresqlXX-devel ? - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-yum

From Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais
Subject Re: missing perl test modules in postgresqlXX-devel ?
Date
List pgsql-pkg-yum
On Mon, 9 Nov 2020 10:33:07 +0800
Craig Ringer <craig.ringer@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> Looking at the web, I can find old memories [1] where postgresql12-devel
> >> installed them in /usr/pgsql-12/lib/pgxs/src/test/perl/
> >>

> > We really need some consistency and cross checks between the RPMs and debs.
> >

> Ah. I just noticed you said they're installed with the *client* packages.

Yes, under Debian. This was just for comparison and I was surprised as well.

Under EL7, I installed -devel packages as written in $subject

> So that's an example of how we actually need some postgres packaging
> guidance that applies to rpms, debs, EDB's binary installers, and anything
> else, separate to any particular packaging method or team.
>
> In this case I think it's a bit silly to put the test perl modules along
> with the client.

This is a bit out of the scope of $subject, but I'll answer here anyway, as far
as it could be interesting.

> They can't really be used without the server installed, and they're not
> useful for much unless you're building extensions. They should be in a -dev
> package IMO. They should preferably not be in the test package along with the
> actual test input files, though, since they're used by extensions to run
> their own tests and extensions only have to depend on server-dev not on a
> -test package.

I agree they should live in -dev packages. But I should admit I have no idea
why Debian put them in -client ones. Maybe they have some other constraints
bound to the postgresql-common debian wrapper?

I am currently writing TAP tests for check_pgactivity and rely on PostgresNode
and friends to write and run them. They are very valuable and saves a lot of
time.

> Anyway, I hope the above answers your questions about where they live.

I had no doubt about where they live, sorry for the confusion.

Thank you,

/Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais