Re: The description for pg_replication_slots.restart_lsn - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: The description for pg_replication_slots.restart_lsn
Date
List pgsql-docs
On 2020-Jun-17, Fujii Masao wrote:

> The document explains that restart_lsn column in pg_replication_slots view is:
>
>     The address (LSN) of oldest WAL which still might be required by
>     the consumer of this slot and thus won't be automatically removed
>     during checkpoints.
>
> But the latter part is not true in v13 thanks to max_slot_wal_keep_size.
> I think that we need to update it as follows. Thought?
>
>     The address (LSN) of oldest WAL which still might be required by
>     the consumer of this slot and thus won't be automatically removed
>     during checkpoints unless this LSN gets behind more than
>     max_slot_wal_keep_size from the current LSN.

We just added the invalidated_at LSN to replication slots; while working
on the tests for that today, I was thinking that it might be useful to
display that LSN in pg_replication_slots.  What do you think of the idea
of publishing the invalidated_at LSN in pg_replication_slot.restart_lsn
when the slot is invalid?