Re: pg_basebackup, manifests and backends older than ~12 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: pg_basebackup, manifests and backends older than ~12
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 04:44:34PM -0400, David Steele wrote:
> On 4/10/20 4:41 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> It's only the default in v13..  Surely when we connect to a v12 or
>> earlier system we should just keep working and accept that we don't get
>> a manifest as part of that.
>
> Yeah, OK. It's certainly better than forcing the user to disable manifests,
> which might also disable them for v13 clusters.

Exactly.  My point is exactly that.  The current code would force
users maintaining scripts with pg_basebackup to use --no-manifest if
such a script runs with older versions of Postgres, but we should
encourage users not do to that because we want them to use manifests
with backend versions where they are supported.
--
Michael

Attachment