Re: Collation versioning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: Collation versioning
Date
Re: Collation versioning  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 05:31:47PM +0100, Christoph Berg wrote:
> Re: Peter Eisentraut 2020-03-17 <fd8d4475-85ad-506f-2dda-f4d6e66785bc@2ndquadrant.com>
> > Did we discuss the regcollation type?  In the current patch set, it's only
> > used in two places in a new regression test, where it can easily be replaced
> > by a join.  Do we need it?

I originally wrote it for a previous version of the patchset, to shorten the
pg_dump query, but that went out when I replaced the DDL command with native
functions instead.  It didn't seem to hurt to keep it, so I relied on it in the
regression tests.

> > I realize we've been adding new reg* types lately; I'm not sure what the
> > current idea is on that.
>
> Not sure if that's the case there, but reg* typecasts are very handy
> when used interactively in ad-hoc queries.

+1.  I'm obviously biased, but I find it quite useful when querying pg_depend,
which may become more frequent once we start generating warnings about possibly
corrupted indexes.