Re: logical decoding : exceeded maxAllocatedDescs for .spill files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: logical decoding : exceeded maxAllocatedDescs for .spill files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 07, 2020 at 10:33:48AM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On 2020-02-04 10:15:01 +0530, Kuntal Ghosh wrote:
>> And, the issue got reproduced with the same error:
>> WARNING:  problem in Generation Tuples: number of free chunks 0 in
>> block 0x7fe9e9e74010 exceeds 1018 allocated
>
>That seems like a problem in generation.c - because this should be
>unreachable, I think?
>
>Tomas?

That's rather strange. How could we print this message? The code looks
like this

   if (block->nfree >= block->nchunks)
     elog(WARNING, "problem in Generation %s: number of free chunks %d in block %p exceeds %d allocated",
          name, block->nfree, block, block->nchunks);

so this says 0 >= 1018. Or am I missing something?

regards