Re: Using multiple extended statistics for estimates - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: Using multiple extended statistics for estimates
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 10:04:36AM -0800, Mark Dilger wrote:

>On 11/13/19 7:28 AM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>here's an updated patch, with some minor tweaks based on the review and
>>added tests (I ended up reworking those a bit, to make them more like
>>the existing ones).
>
>Thanks, Tomas, for the new patch set!
>
>Attached are my review comments so far, in the form of a patch applied
>on top of yours.

Thanks.

1) It's not clear to me why adding 'const' to the List parameters would
   be useful? Can you explain?

2) I think you're right we can change find_strongest_dependency to do

    /* also skip weaker dependencies when attribute count matches */
    if (strongest->nattributes == dependency->nattributes &&
        strongest->degree >= dependency->degree)
        continue;

   That'll skip some additional dependencies, which seems OK.

3) It's not clear to me what you mean by

     * TODO: Improve this code comment.  Specifically, why would we
     * ignore that no rows will match?  It seems that such a discovery
     * would allow us to return an estimate of 0 rows, and that would
     * be useful.

   added to dependencies_clauselist_selectivity. Are you saying we
   should also compute selectivity estimates for individual clauses and
   use Min() as a limit? Maybe, but that seems unrelated to the patch.

regards