Re: The word "virgin" used incorrectly and probably better offreplaced - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: The word "virgin" used incorrectly and probably better offreplaced
Date
List pgsql-docs
On 2019-Nov-08, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Hmm.  Maybe we can say "pristine database" and then add this explanation
> > in a parenthical comment:
>
> >     This is particularly handy when restoring a
> >     <literal>pg_dump</literal> dump: the dump script should be restored in a
> >     pristine database (one where no user-defined objects exist and where
> >     system objects have not been altered), to ensure that one recreates
> >     the correct contents of the dumped database, without conflicting
> >     with objects that might have been added to
> >     <literal>template1</literal> later on.
>
> So the patch becomes s/virgin/pristine/g plus add a parenthetical
> definition for the first use?  Works for me.

Well, there are three uses of the word "virgin".  The first is for
"virgin user", and the patch turns that into just "user".  The second
one is for "virgin database" and the patch has the effect you describe.
The third one is also s/virgin//.

Attachment