Re: updating sequence value for column 'serial' - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matthias Apitz
Subject Re: updating sequence value for column 'serial'
Date
List pgsql-general
El día miércoles, septiembre 25, 2019 a las 07:42:11a. m. -0700, Adrian Klaver escribió:

> >> I have not found a better way. I use ALTER SEQUENCE .. RESTART 330722
> >> though:
> >
> > Yes, but I found no way to use a variable like 'maxikatkey' in the ALTER SEQUENCE ...
> > it only excepts digits like 330722.
>
> DO $$
> DECLARE
>      max_id int;
> BEGIN
>      SELECT INTO max_id max(id) + 1 FROM seq_test;
>      RAISE NOTICE 'Max id is %', max_id;
>      EXECUTE 'ALTER SEQUENCE seq_test_id_seq RESTART ' || max_id::text;
> END;
> $$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

Hi Adrian,

I adopted your code to the name of my table 'ig_target_ipfilter' and its
SERIAL column 'id'; it does not work (and I don't know how it could
works because in the 'ALTER SEQUENCE ...' stmt is somehow missing '...  WITH value ...')
or do I understand something wrong?):

cat -n /home/apitzm/postgreSQL/test.sql
     1  DO $$
     2  DECLARE
     3      max_id int;
     4  BEGIN
     5      SELECT INTO max_id max(id) + 1 FROM ig_target_ipfilter ;
     6      RAISE NOTICE 'Max id in % is %', 'ig_target_ipfilter', max_id;
     7      EXECUTE 'ALTER SEQUENCE ig_target_ipfilter_id_seq RESTART ' || max_id::text;
     8  END;
     9  $$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

psql -Usisis -dsisis < /home/apitzm/postgreSQL/test.sql
NOTICE:  Max id in ig_target_ipfilter is <NULL>
ERROR:  query string argument of EXECUTE is null
KONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function inline_code_block line 7 at EXECUTE

Please clarify. Thanks

    matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045

Mientras haya voluntad de lucha habrá esperanza de vencer.

Attachment