Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and KeyManagement Service (KMS)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 08, 2019 at 12:16:04PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Anyway, I will to research the reasonable data size that can be secured
>with a single key via AES.  I will look at how PGP encrypts large files
>too.

IMO there are various recommendations about this, for example from NIST.
But it varies on the exact encryption mode (say, GCM, XTS, ...) and the
recommendations are not "per key" but "per key + nonce" etc.

IANAC but my understanding is if we use e.g. "OID + blocknum" as nonce,
then we should be pretty safe.

regards