Re: pgsql: Rework the pg_statistic_ext catalog - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: pgsql: Rework the pg_statistic_ext catalog
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 10:56:51AM +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 07:18:58AM +0100, Dean Rasheed wrote:

>>>I experimented with extracting the required data from the view, and
>>>there are at least two show-stopper problems:
>>>
>>>* The view doesn't expose pg_statistic_ext.oid, which pg_dump has to have
>>>for dependency tracking purposes.  I think we could just add it though.
>>>Now that OIDs are ordinary columns it won't even look very odd.
>>>
>>>* Rather than just not exposing the critical data for stats you don't
>>>have privilege to read, the view doesn't expose anything at all.
>>>I do not think that's acceptable; it creates a significant hazard of
>>>data loss during pg_dump, for no very good reason.  What we should
>>>be doing, IMO, is still showing all the rows but filling the data-value
>>>columns with nulls in rows where the caller can't access the underlying
>>>data.
>>>

>>Hang on. Isn't the real problem that we should be revoking public access
>>from pg_statistic_ext_data, not pg_statistic_ext? Normal users should still
>>be able to see the stats definitions in the catalog table, but not the
>>stats data, so I think pg_dump wouldn't need changing.
>>

>Yeah, that's pretty much why we split the catalog - to allow pg_dump to
>read the definitions, without exposing the stats too. I'll look into
>this and push a fix to unbreak the buildfarm (sorry about that).

OK, the bug here seems to be pretty silly - the GRANT in system_views
does this:

GRANT SELECT (oid, stxrelid, stxname, stxnamespace, stxowner, stxkeys, stxkind)
    ON pg_statistic_ext TO public;

but pg_dump also uses tableoid column. After adding it to the GRANT I
can run pg_dump using regular user just fine. I'll push this fix
shortly.

But we're not out of the woods yet, it seems. check-world still fails
for me with an error like this:

t/011_crash_recovery.pl .............. 1/3
#   Failed test 'new xid after restart is greater'
#   at t/011_crash_recovery.pl line 61.
#     '486'
#         >
#     '486'

#   Failed test 'xid is aborted after crash'
#   at t/011_crash_recovery.pl line 65.
#          got: 'committed'
#     expected: 'aborted'
# Looks like you failed 2 tests of 3.
t/011_crash_recovery.pl .............. Dubious, test returned 2 (wstat 512, 0x200)
Failed 2/3 subtests

which I find rather strange. I have no idea why splitting a catalog and
adding a system view should affect recovery like this.

regards