Re: WAL Archive Cleanup? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: WAL Archive Cleanup?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 12:26:33PM -0400, Jeff Janes wrote:
> archive_cleanup_command is pretty much obsolete.  The modern way to do this
> is with streaming replication, using either replication slots or
> wal_keep_segments.  If the only reason you want an archive is for
> replication, then use streaming replication and do away with the archive
> completely.  There are reasons other than replication that one might want
> to keep a WAL archive, but those reasons don't seem to apply to you.  And
> if they did you almost certainly wouldn't want to run
> archive_cleanup_command on it.

Personally, I still find archives also very valuable when a standby
creation takes a long time because of a large initial base backup and
that the partition dedicated to pg_wal is not large enough to support
the retention associated with a slot, and it is easier to have larger
retention policies in the archives.
--
Michael

Attachment