Re: mailing list redirect for bug numbers? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: mailing list redirect for bug numbers?
Date
List pgsql-www
On 2019-Jan-19, Stephen Frost wrote:

> I didn't come to the conclusion that we just should leave everything
> as-is.  I was hoping to either get to a point where either we come up
> with a sensible way to provide a bug number or other identifier for
> things we typically want to link to from commits, or decide that the bug
> number isn't really all that useful and get rid of it.

Well, we already have bug numbers in bugs submitted via the website and
they seem to work pretty well.

What if we add an email interface that creates bugs with IDs, but
nothing more than that?  I'm thinking a special address such as
pgsql-create-bug@postgresql.org that creates the bug ID and resends to
pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org CCing the bug reporter, after changing Subject
to include the bug ID and the From/Sender to an address under our
control (to avoid DKIM problems with the reporter's domain).  It would
work normally using pgsql-bugs from that point on.

If we have our system preserve References/In-Reply-To headers, I think
it would even work to add a CC the special address in the middle of a
regular thread in a mailing list (any mailing list, not just pgsql-bugs)
to spawn a new bug.