Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Laurenz Albe (laurenz.albe@cybertec.at) wrote:
> Stephen Frost wrote:
> > * Peter Eisentraut (peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> > > Clearly, not having to do that at all is better, but if this is all
> > > there is to it, then I'm confused by the characterizations of how awful
> > > and terrible this feature is and how we must rush to remove it.
> >
> > It's not all there is to it though.
> >
> > This issue leads to extended downtime regularly and is definitely a huge
> > 'gotcha' for users, even if you don't want to call it outright broken,
>
> Only if PostgreSQL crashes regularly, right?

This happens anytime a backup is in progress and the system crashes in
any way- PostgreSQL going down, the container Postgres is running in,
the server Postgres is running on, or if the filesystem that Postgres is
running on goes away, etc.

There's certainly no shortage of cases where this can happen.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment