Re: DSM robustness failure (was Re: Peripatus/failures) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Larry Rosenman
Subject Re: DSM robustness failure (was Re: Peripatus/failures)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 08:10:28PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
> > On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 07:07:09PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> ... Was your Python install built
> >> with any special switches?  I just used what came from "pkg install".
>
> > It had been built on a previous FreeBSD build, I have my own poudriere
> > infrastructure.  I can probably get you the package from my ZFS snaps if
> > you'd like.
>
> I've now verified that the bog-standard packages for python 2.7 and python
> 3.6 both build and pass regression cleanly, using ALPHA10.  And I see
> peripatus is back to green too.  So as far as the plpython end of this is
> concerned, I think we can write it off as "something wrong with Larry's
> custom package build".  However, I'm still slightly interested in how it
> was that that broke DSM so thoroughly ... I pulled down your version of
> python2.7 and will see if that reproduces it.

It was built on a previous alpha, so who knows what the differing
compiler/libs/kernel/etc did.  The options used did *NOT* change, just
the userland used to compile it.  (I.E. that package, running on
ALPHA10 is what broke).

that's one of the nice things about poudriere, it's a clean room type
environment, and uses canned options as set by the user, and I haven't
changed python options in a LONG (I.E. months/years) time.

Phone: +1 214-642-9640                 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
US Mail: 5708 Sabbia Drive, Round Rock, TX 78665-2106

Attachment