Re: Facility for detecting insecure object naming - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nico Williams
Subject Re: Facility for detecting insecure object naming
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 12:47:05PM -0700, Noah Misch wrote:
> -- (3) "SET search_path" with today's code.
> --
> -- Security and reliability considerations are the same as (2).  Today, this
> -- reduces performance by suppressing optimizations like inlining.

Out of curiosity, why does this suppress inlining?

Anyways, my preference would be to have syntax by which to say: resolve
at declaration time using the then-in-effect search_path and store
as-qualified.  This could just be SET search_path without an assignment.

  CREATE FUNCTION ... AS $$ ... $$ SET search_path;

Another possibility would be to have a way to set a search_path for all
expressions in a given schema, something like:

  SET SCHEMA my_schema DEFAULT search_path = ...;

which would apply to all expressions in schema elements in schema
"my_schema":

 - CHECK expressions
 - INDEX expressions
 - VIEWs and MATERIALIZED VIEWs
 - FUNCTION and STORED PROCEDURE bodies
 - ...

  CREATE SCHEMA IF NOT EXISTS my_schema;

  SET SCHEMA my_schema DEFAULT search_path = my_schema, my_other_schema;

  CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION foo() ... AS $$ ... $$;

Nico