Re: PostgreSQL 11 global index - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Jehan-Guillaume (ioguix) de Rorthais
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 11 global index
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 11:48:04 +0300
Mariel Cherkassky <mariel.cherkassky@gmail.com> wrote:

> hI Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais,
> This solution looks good but I think that i will have a big problem. I need
> a global index because I try to insert a bulk data (alot of data) with the
> copy command / pgbulkload extension. The solution you provided will create
> a constraint trigger that will be used after very insert.

NB: it could be fired "before insert" as well depending on your schema, with
minimal modification (see comments in the article)

> Now, in my case I have 2 questions :
> 1)When I use the copy command to load data into the table, do you think
> that the trigger will be effected ?

The doc says yes:

  « COPY FROM will invoke any triggers and check constraints on the destination
  table. However, it will not invoke rules.»

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/static/sql-copy.html

> 2)If the trigger will work I think that it would decrease the performance
> dramaticly.

You will have to measure it.

I doubt rewriting the trigger in C would help on this matter, but if you do
test it, I would be glad to hear about the results :)