Re: project updates - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Aleksander Alekseeev
Subject Re: project updates
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Charles,

>     Here is my current working status.
> 1. Complete the thrift_binary_in and thrift_binary_out functions, so
> that users can express their thrift struct using json. These two
> functions support both simple data struct and complex data structure
> like struct and map. 2. added test cases and document to cover
> thrift_binary_in and thrift_binary_out. 3. make the code compile-able
> from 9.4 to 11.0.

I see multiple warnings during compilation with 11.0, e.g:

```
pg_thrift.c:1120:72: warning: implicit declaration of function
‘JsonbGetDatum’; did you mean ‘JsonbPGetDatum’?
[-Wimplicit-function-declaration]

pg_thrift.c:1206:13: warning: the address of ‘is_big_endian’ will
always evaluate as ‘true’ [-Waddress]

pg_thrift.c:1227:18: warning: implicit declaration of function
‘PG_GETARG_JSONB’; did you mean ‘PG_GETARG_JSONB_P’?
[-Wimplicit-function-declaration]

pg_thrift.c:1227:18: warning: initialization of ‘Jsonb *’ {aka ‘struct
<anonymous> *’} from ‘int’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
[-Wint-conversion]
```

Also tests (make clean && make && make install && make installcheck)
don't pass.

> One question though, for custom types, it seems rich operations are
> also very important besides storing and expressing using thrift type.
> What are the most important operators should I support? Any
> suggestions? Here is the updated repo
> https://github.com/charles-cui/pg_thrift

I believe get field / set field are most common ones. Naturally there
are also enumerations, projections, you name it. You can check out list
of operation supported by JSONB (or a list of operations on dict's in
Python) to get a full picture.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev