Re: Loaded footgun open_datasync on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Loaded footgun open_datasync on Windows
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 01, 2018 at 07:32:26PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Basically, this method *is* safe as long as you have proper storage. For
> example, if yo have a RAID controller with cache, it is perfectly safe. If
> you have a consumer level device with unsafe caching, then it's not safe.
> This behaves basically the same as it does on e.g. Linux, which is also
> unsafe if you have an unsafe conusmer device.

When things come to VMs or containers, developers and users tend to be
sloppy regarding the hardware being used, and they are not usually aware
that the database running within it is sensitive to such details.  Many
folks use Postgres, so IMO having defaults which are safe without
relying on hardware characteristics is a rather sensible approach. (Got
bitten by that in the past, not everybody is careful).  My 2c.
--
Michael

Attachment