Re: Request: Revive the security-specific section - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Request: Revive the security-specific section
Date
List pgsql-docs
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 5/2/18 18:59, Ian Maddox wrote:

> > It appears that the knowledge from that page has been redistributed
> > across the manual in versions 8+, making it difficult to point to a
> > single authoritative resource. I'm writing to request that a single
> > section on security be revived in a future revision of the manual.
>
> I see where you are coming from.  However, I think security concerns
> exist in every aspect of the system.  So as a user when I'm dealing
> with operating system integration, or schema design, or backups, or
> replication, or monitoring, etc., then I want to know about the
> security concerns on that subject.

Curiously enough, we got a request on the Spanish list today
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CALhQua6tAY+b+oH10OOm24sank43quQoVnoZpPDO5r6YQ4eXow@mail.gmail.com
about a "hardening guide".  I think it is not completely out of the
question to have a separate slim section listing things to keep in mind
in order to harden a PostgreSQL installation.  It doesn't have to be
terribly thorough -- rather it'd be mostly links to other places in the
docs where detailed information about each element can be found.