Re: Reorganizing PG lists - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Reorganizing PG lists
Date
List pgsql-www
Alvaro,

* Alvaro Herrera (alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org) wrote:
> Stephen Frost wrote:
>
> > Reviewing actual usage shows that a number of the lists aren't really
> > categorized correctly under these categories.  In particular, the
> > "Regional" lists are actually more "per-language" lists than they are
> > "Regional" in nature.  To address that, we're planning to create a new
> > category called "Per Language Lists" (better name suggestions are
> > welcome) and move a number of the currently "regional" lists to that
> > category.
> >
> > Individuals who are familiar with the various non-English lists are
> > solicited to please help us distinguish the lists that are truely
> > "Regional" from those which are really "Per-Language".  My understanding
> > is that, at least, the following lists are really per-language and not
> > really regional:
> >
> > pgsql-es-ayuda
> > pgsql-es-fomento
> > pgsql-es-trabajos
> > pgsql-fr-generale
> > pgsql-de-allgemein
>
> I think renaming the "Regional" category to "Language" is a fine
> solution to the most of the problem.

Great, glad we agree there.

> AFAICT the only non-dead PUG lists are:
>
> pdxpug
> seapug
> ecpug
> lapug

I know that pdxpug has basically said that they use Meetup and really
don't see value in cross-posting to that list.  Seapug appears to just
be -announce repostings, and lapug also has a meetup account that they
use.  Moveing ecpug to a Regional list is fine, of course.

> Maybe those are the only ones that should be under "regional".

I'd rather not have mailing lists which are just re-postings about
Meetups, if we can avoid it.

> (I defended arpug previously but looking at it again, it seems to have
> mostly languished & dead.)

Ok.

Thanks!

Stephen