Reorganizing PG lists - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Stephen Frost
Subject Reorganizing PG lists
Date
Re: Reorganizing PG lists  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>)
Re: Reorganizing PG lists  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-www
Greetings,

The migration of the active mailing lists from mj2 to PGLister has
largely been completed and a few things from that have come to light
regarding the current organization of the lists.

Today we have these categories:

User Lists
Developer Lists
Regional Lists
Associations
User Groups
Project Lists
Inactive Lists

Reviewing actual usage shows that a number of the lists aren't really
categorized correctly under these categories.  In particular, the
"Regional" lists are actually more "per-language" lists than they are
"Regional" in nature.  To address that, we're planning to create a new
category called "Per Language Lists" (better name suggestions are
welcome) and move a number of the currently "regional" lists to that
category.

Individuals who are familiar with the various non-English lists are
solicited to please help us distinguish the lists that are truely
"Regional" from those which are really "Per-Language".  My understanding
is that, at least, the following lists are really per-language and not
really regional:

pgsql-es-ayuda
pgsql-es-fomento
pgsql-es-trabajos
pgsql-fr-generale
pgsql-de-allgemein

While the following lists are really "Regional" lists and not really
"PUGS" and therefore they should be recategorized accordingly:

arpug
ecpug

Lastly there is the "User Groups" category which, given the above moves,
are all essentially defunct lists that are, at most, used just as a
cross-post from Meetup.com and other services.  We've actually been
actively told by individuals who are involved in running PUGs in a
number of places that the PG lists for them should be retired.  What
we've seen is that the per-language and regional lists are good to have
but the PUGs are organized through other means and the lists end up
being unused, which is worse than simply not having those lists because
individuals looking for active user groups are misled into thinking that
there isn't an active user group because there's no activity on the
list.  We also have the explicit "Local User Groups" portion of the
website (which will be independently cleaned up to remove actually
inactive groups and dead links).

Please let me know if there are other lists which should really be
categorized as "per-language" (honestly, I'm tempted to say that *all*
of the currently "Regional" ones should be per-language...).  I will
also continue to reach out to individuals who are active on those lists
for their advice as well.

If any of the user groups are really active and have only the mailing
list as a mechansim for communication (which, given that almost all of
them haven't seen traffic in over a year and those that have nearly
always have a meetup.com link...), please let me know and we can
discuss what can be done to address that.

I'm hoping to implement these changes in the next week to allow us to
finally move completely off of mj2.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment