Re: Autoanalyze CPU usage - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: Autoanalyze CPU usage
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 02:37:18PM -0800, Habib Nahas wrote:
> As it happens our larger tables operate as a business log and are also
> insert only.
>
> - There is no partitioning at this time since we expect to have an
> automated process to delete rows older than a certain date.

This is a primary use case for partitioning ; bulk DROP rather than DELETE.

> - Analyzing doing off-hours sounds like a good idea; if there is no other
> way to determine effect on db we may end up doing that.

You can also implement a manual analyze job and hope to avoid autoanalyze.

> - We have an open schema and heavily depend on jsonb, so I'm not sure if
> increasing the statistics target will be helpful.

If the increased stats target isn't useful for that, I would recommend to
decrease it.

--
Justin Pryzby
System Administrator