Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ildus Kurbangaliev
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods
Date
List pgsql-hackers

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20130621000900.GA12425%40alap2.anarazel.de#20130621000900.GA12425@alap2.anarazel.de

> IIRC there were some concerns about what happened with pg_upgrade,
> with consuming precious toast bits, and a few other things.

Thank you for the link, I didn't see that thread when I looked over
mailing lists. I read it briefly, and I can address few things
relating to my patch.

Most concerns have been related with legal issues.
Actually that was the reason I did not include any new compression
algorithms to my patch. Unlike that patch mine only provides syntax
and is just a way to give the users use their own compression algorithms
and deal with any legal issues themselves.

I use only one unused bit in header (there's still one free ;), that's
enough to determine that data is compressed or not.

I did found out that pg_upgrade doesn't work properly with my patch,
soon I will send fix for it.

--
---
Ildus Kurbangaliev