Re: [DOCS] PDF building with FOP - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [DOCS] PDF building with FOP
Date
List pgsql-docs
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> The questions for those who are building PDFs are
>
> - Can you make the build work?

It worked fine for me after installing the "fop" package.  No need to
rerun configure.

> - Does the output look OK?

It looks generally sane in a very quick skim, modulo the problems we've
always had with PDFs, such as tables 9-44 and 9-45 being completely
unusable.

> Some tips:  FOP is extremely memory hungry.  You will probably have to
> fiddle with some Java memory settings to make it work.  One way is by
> edting ~/.foprc and set something like
>
> FOP_OPTS='-Xmx1200m'          # fop upstream binary installation
> ADDITIONAL_FLAGS='-Xmx1200m'  # centos/fedora
> JAVA_ARGS='-Xmx1200m'         # debian

I didn't have to change anything; it just worked out of the box.