Re: Add -c to rsync commands on SR tutorial wiki page - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Add -c to rsync commands on SR tutorial wiki page
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Jim Nasby (Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com) wrote:
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Binary_Replication_Tutorial does
> not specify -c for any of the rsync commands. That's maybe safe for
> WAL, but I don't think it's safe for any of the other uses, right?
> I'd like someone to confirm before I just change the page... my
> intention is to just stick -c in all the commands.

-c is only relevant when you are doing an incremental copy, but on a
quick look, all those rsync commands appear to be doing full copies?

You would want -c if you were taking a backup and then doing an update
of it using rsync. or something along those lines, as you can't really
trust rsync's time/size based comparison as it only has a 1 second level
granularity.

Thanks!

Stephen