[Patch] New psql prompt substitution %r (m = master, r = replica) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Aleksander Alekseev
Subject [Patch] New psql prompt substitution %r (m = master, r = replica)
Date
Re: [Patch] New psql prompt substitution %r (m = master, r = replica)  (David Fetter <david@fetter.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hello.

Suggested patch introduces an %r substitution in psql's prompt. This
substitution allows to display whether user is connected to master or
replica right in a prompt.

Usage example:

```
$ cat ~/.psqlrc
\set PROMPT1 '%p (%r) =# '

$ psql -p 5432
psql (9.6beta4)
Type "help" for help.

20638 (m) =# \q

$ psql -p 5433
psql (9.6beta4)
Type "help" for help.

20647 (r) =# \q
```

Currently I'm working on some functionality involving master-slave
replication. Sometimes I accidentally connect to a master instead of
replica and vice versa. Presence of functionality described above would
make my work much more convenient.

Hopefully there are other people in PostgreSQL community who feel that
way.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev