Re: "Immediate shutdown if postmaster.pid is removed" not mentioned in Release Notes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: "Immediate shutdown if postmaster.pid is removed" not mentioned in Release Notes
Date
List pgsql-general
> We don't normally document back-patched patches in as-yet-unreleased
> branches, since the point of release notes is to tell you what's new
> compared to the previous release, and this item isn't (or won't be).

That makes sense.

> Also, I doubt that this is of any great concern to the average user.
> It's not a scenario that would come up in anything I would call a
> supported use-case.  If we're to reverse the aforementioned policy,
> there are probably quite a few patches that would now need to be
> documented as "new in 9.5" and are more significant than this.

It's possible that novice admins accidentally remove postmaster.pid (I
saw this kind of incidents a few times while supporting customers if
my memory serves). Anyway I am happy as long as it's clearly
documented in the release notes of the next versions.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan