Re: New email address - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: New email address
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Larry Rosenman wrote:
> On 2015-11-24 13:11, Tom Lane wrote:
> >Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >>If this were done, would the other steps (not changing the subject
> >>or body of the email) be necessary?
> >
> >See my followup: I think it's probably true that we could skip those
> >changes.  But Rudy commented that there's a lot of underdocumented
> >subtlety here.  There might be reasons I'm missing why we'd need to
> >stop doing those things.  It doesn't seem like DMARC as such would
> >force that, but perhaps those things trigger some popular antispam
> >heuristics.

> Any Header or Body changes will invalidate most, if not all, DKIM
> signatures.  Since DKIM is used as part
> of DMARC, it's a problem.
>
> Not sure what MajorDomo2 will allow you to do.

We can turn off header and body changes easily enough, but changing the
"From:" address requires patching the Majordomo2 source code; and, as
you may already be aware, the maintainers gave up on Mj2 a decade ago,
so we'd be on our own for that.  I cannot promise any sort of timeline
for getting that done; and since that's an essential part of the recipe,
I don't see any point in doing the other changes either for the time
being.

I think the breakage of DKIM signatures is already causing some pain
(though nowhere near the level of DMARC).

Of course, removing all the "List-" headers *and* our custom footers is
a huge step backwards in terms of mailing list functionality :-(  Also,
removing the [HACKERS] etc tags will annoy some people, for sure.