Re: Patch to install config/missing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Patch to install config/missing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 11/11/15 12:34 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I was thinking more of removing the "missing" script and associated logic
> > entirely, rather than making PGXS a special case.  I think we should do
> > our best to minimize differences between behaviors in core builds and
> > PGXS builds, if only because we don't test the latter very much and
> > might not notice problems there.
>
> Well, about a year ago people were arguing for the opposite change in
> the documentation build.  It used to default all the build tool
> variables to programs that weren't there, and people got all confused
> about that, so we stuck "missing" in there across the board.

Ah, right :-(  It's obviously difficult to arrange a compromise that
pleases everyone here.  I think it's fair to keep "missing" for the doc
build and remove it from Perl/bison/flex, regardless of pgxs; extensions
cannot build doc files anyway.