Re: Patent warning about the Greenplum source code - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Patent warning about the Greenplum source code
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Nov  1, 2015 at 01:27:13AM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 04:47:35AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Therefore, I caution people from viewing the Greenplum source code as
> > you might see patented ideas that could be later implemented in
> > Postgres, opening Postgres up to increased patent violation problems.  I
> > am also concerned about existing community members who work for
> > Pivotal/Greenplum and therefore are required to view the patented source
> > code.  The license issue might eventually be improved by
> > Pivotal/Greenplum, but, for now, I think caution is necessary.
> >
> > Of course, never mention known-patented ideas in any community forum,
> > including this email list.
>
> I just found out that Citus Data has patent applications pending, so
> viewing Citus Data source code has the same problems as Greenplum.

Actually, it might only be their closed source software that contains
patents, i.e. not pg_shard.  I will check and report back when I can
unless someone else reports here first.

http://enterprisedb.com

+ Roman grave inscription                             +