Re: pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 07:03:12PM +0300, Дмитрий Воронин wrote:

> >>  Maybe it will be a good idea to make a dumper with some dumping levels:
> >>  - all cluster
> >>  - global objects
> >>  - database level
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand. Is there some utility in dividing this
> > into these particular levels?
>
> -all cluster -- it's what pg_dumpall and pg_dump do.
> - global objects -- it's dumping tablespaces, roles, database(structure).
> - database level -- it's dumping all inside one database.

More specifically, I am not quite understanding the distinction
between "all cluster" and "global objects."

What do you have in mind on the implementation side?  Do you think
pg_dump is a suitable baseline, or were you thinking of something
different, and if so, what?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!