Re: temporary indexes? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andreas Kretschmer
Subject Re: temporary indexes?
Date
List pgsql-general
Jonathan Vanasco <postgres@2xlp.com> wrote:

> I couldn't find any mention of this on the archives...
>
> Have the project maintainers ever considered extending CREATE INDEX to
> support "temporary" indexes like CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE?

Not sure if you mean something like this:

http://www.depesz.com/2015/09/07/hypothetical-indexes/

> When creating temporary tables for analytics/reporting, I've noticed
> that I often need to create (then drop) indexes on regular tables.

Than you have to create this index. But the creation of an index is
expensive, maybe it's cheaper do the nalytics/reporting without an

And yes: you can create an indexe concurrently.

Andreas