Re: 9.3.9 and pg_multixact corruption - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: 9.3.9 and pg_multixact corruption
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jim Nasby wrote:
> On 9/20/15 9:23 AM, Christoph Berg wrote:
> >a short update here: the customer updated the compiler to a newer
> >version, is now compiling using -O2 instead of -O3, and the code
> >generated now looks sane, so this turned out to be a compiler issue.
> >(Though it's unclear if the upgrade fixed it, or the different -O
> >level.)
>
> Do we officially not support anything > -O2? If so it'd be nice if configure
> threw at least a warning (if not an error that you had to explicitly
> over-ride).

Keep in mind this is Sun OS C -- not one of the most popular compilers
in the world.  I don't know what you suggest: have a test program that
configure runs and detects whether the compiler does the wrong thing?
It doesn't seem a sane idea to maintain test cases for all known
compiler bugs ...