Re: in defensive of zone_reclaim_mode on linux - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: in defensive of zone_reclaim_mode on linux
Date
Re: in defensive of zone_reclaim_mode on linux
List pgsql-general
Hi,

On 2015-09-04 15:37:47 -0700, Ben Chobot wrote:
> So our load would hover under 10 most of the time, then spike to over 100 for a minute or two. Connections would get
refused,the system would freeze up... and then everything would go back to normal. The solution? Turning on
zone_reclaim_mode.

> It appears that connection churn is far more manageable to Linux with zone_reclaim_mode enabled. I suspect that our
dearthof large, complex queries helps us out as well. Regardless, our systems no longer desperately seek free memory
whenmany idle backends wake up while others are getting torn down and and replaced. Babies and puppies rejoice.

> Our situation might not apply to you. But if it does, give zone_reclaim_mode a chance. It's not (always) as bad as
othershave made it out to be.

To me that sounds like the negative impact of transparent hugepages
being mitigated to some degree by zone reclaim mode (which'll avoid some
cross-node transfers).

Greetings,

Andres Freund