Re: in defensive of zone_reclaim_mode on linux - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: in defensive of zone_reclaim_mode on linux
Date
List pgsql-general
> On 2015-09-04 15:37:47 -0700, Ben Chobot wrote:
>> Our situation might not apply to you. But if it does, give zone_reclaim_mode a chance. It's not (always) as bad as
othershave made it out to be.

> To me that sounds like the negative impact of transparent hugepages
> being mitigated to some degree by zone reclaim mode (which'll avoid some
> cross-node transfers).

Worth noting here is that Ben is running a 3.13 Linux kernel --- I think
most of the bad rap that zone_reclaim_mode has accumulated comes from
experience with significantly older kernels.  (Which is not to say that
I have heard that the kernel crowd has fixed it.  But maybe they did.)

            regards, tom lane