Re: 9.5 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: 9.5 release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 11:30:30PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > Note that I guess "MauMau" is a nickname.
> >
> > I think we are fine consistenly putting Japanese last names first _if_
> > we always capitalize the last name, e.g. "FUJITA Etsuro" --- is that a
> > good idea? Does everyone like that?  Does any other country want that?
>
> OK, new idea.  What about, instead of having the last name be all-caps,
> we have the last name start with an uppercase letter, then use smallcaps
> for the rest of the last name:
>
>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_caps
>
> That way, the last name will not appear too large, but will be clear as
> something different from other names.  Peter, I assume small-caps is
> possible.

I realize this might come across as overkill, but, well, we actually
have this database system for anyone who has an account on
postgresql.org, the wiki, been to one of the conferences that uses the
PG auth system, etc.

Perhaps we just need to add a "display as" field or similar to that
system?  Or have a check-box for each individual to indicate if they'd
prefer to use 'First Last' or 'LAST First'.  We already track first and
last names as different fields.  We also have a unique username field
and we might be able to come up with a system along the lines of
'user:username' which is then replaced by whatever is in the
"display as" field in the database.  My thought would be for that to be
a one-time thing which is then reviewed and then the release notes are
published as they are today.  I don't think we'd want to dynamically
change the release notes based on this on the actual webpage, for
various reasons.

My 2c on the whole thing is that it should be up to the individual and
not based on country, as I can imagine individuals who woluld be annoyed
if their name started showing up in the release notes as
'FROST Stephen' simply because they moved to Japan (no, I don't have any
intentions of doing so, just saying).
Thanks,
    Stephen