Re: 9.5 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: 9.5 release notes
Date
Re: 9.5 release notes  (Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have committed the first draft of the 9.5 release notes.  You can view
> the output here:
>
>     http://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-9-5.html

I noticed something while reading this and would like the input of our
Japanese contributors.

Normally, western names are written using the given name first, then the
surname ("last name").  I am not well-versed on Japanese culture but my
understanding is that they use their family name first, then their given
name -- for instance, in "Yamada Tarō", Yamada is the family name and
Tarō is the given name.

Apparently, when interacting with Western people, some Japanese seem to
invert this and put the given name first.  Also, some write the family
name in all caps -- I guess this is done so that it is clear which part
is which.

Now, I think we should consider using a single style for all the
Japanese names used in the release notes.  Can we have our Japanese
contributors all agree on which style to use, and then let us know
what's their name in that style?

The names we currently have in the 9.5 release notes are:

Fujii Masao
Kyotaro Horiguchi
Sawada Masahiko
KaiGai Kohei
Shigeru Hanada
Etsuro Fujita
Furuya Osamu
MauMau
Mitsumasa Kondo

BTW, it is pretty cool to have contributor names that are natively in
scripts other than latin.  It is a pity that because of toolchain
limitations we cannot display names in kanji, cyrillic or other
character sets (in addition to their transliteration to latin script).